Noting the distance one has traveled is impossible without understanding where the journey began. As a relatively new teacher librarian of one year, I have a general idea of what constitutes a reference material and how we as teacher librarians use these materials to support teaching and learning. The terminology used in the course text is for the most part familiar to me, as are the ideas presented in the chapters. However, I know enough to know that there is a lot that I don't know.
What don't I know? Well, the reference section of my library at my new school looks like it has never been touched. I need some ideas and inspiration as to how to correct this problem as I am not sure where to begin. The materials in my library are relatively new, however they are few in number and do not represent the gamut of materials that are mentioned in the course outline. I need to learn about a greater variety of resources and incorporate them into my library development plan.
I can hardly keep up the amount of new and amazing reference websites that continually pop up, but I try! I hope to learn of more useful websites that have been tried and tested. While it is very important to have books as reference materials, there are reference websites that books cannot begin to represent.
A library can have amazing resources however they are of little use without a guide to bring them to life. I hope to learn of innovative ideas that will help me to be the "go-to" resource person in my school. It will take time to get to know the staff, students and learning styles of my new school community. In time, and with new experiences and learning, I'm sure I'll get there!
I am sure that I will discover other knowledge gaps along the way. These are only the potholes I am aware of!
No comments:
Post a Comment