There are a few points that Riedling makes in chapter 9 that really spoke to me:
"The school library media specialist should know as much about the student as possible". Although Riedling was referring to social information, I also believe it pertains to academic information. Knowing what level of resource you should be recommending is really difficult without this information.
Last year I had a grade 4 student who was an avid reader. She visited the library every day I was there and asked all sorts of questions about books and authors. She really enjoyed reading books that are part of popular series and I was really impressed at her knowledge of all of the Harry Potter books and Lemony Snicket books. She would tell me her favorite parts and I would share mine.
It wasn't until March that I found out she was a non-reader. I couldn't believe it! She always had a book in her hand and knew so much about them. When I questioned as to how that could be, I discovered her love of movies and her desperation to appear to be "smart" and well-read. Oh my. I spent the better part of a year feeding this problem. This year I have asked teachers for brief academic info on students. The guilt still haunts me!
"In order to properly perform any reference service, the school library media specialist must have an exceptional knowledge of the library media center's collection." I moved schools this year and feel like I have lost a limb. I used to know every book, video and teacher resource in the collection in addition to who would want what and when. Now I continually find myself saying, "well, I'm not sure if we have that. Let's go see....". With everyday that goes by this situation improves, however I have a long way to go before I know the students, staff and resources like I did in my previous school. Sigh.
Despite my lack of knowledge in this area, I was comforted to read that I already do many of the things Riedling suggests. I am very sincere with students and staff. I take their queries seriously and treat people with kindness. Despite the fact I don't seem to know what is in my library or what was popular in the past, the kids are very forgiving and write me nice thank you cards and appreciation notes. I feel very lucky to be where I am right now!
No comments:
Post a Comment