Dabbling With Databases

As I am nearly at the end of my TL diploma, I have had many experiences with the UBC databases. Although I have managed a working relationship with them (I can effectively retrieve journal articles required for class, etc.), I must admit that doing general searches yield results that are not exactly helpful. I am highly proficient at locating information on the internet and rather enjoy internet searching however the various databases are a source of frustration. The layouts of the search engines are not user friendly, the searches are very slow for some reason and the results are wide-ranging and often not useful.

It wasn’t until recently that I re-evaluated my database disdain and repositioned my expectations. I wouldn’t go into a library and expect the first book to suit my needs. I know that uncovering the print information one is after takes time, patience and persistence. Where and why did I get the idea that databases should be so easy? I think I am just too used to the ease of Google! And could it be that I am doing something wrong and my searches could be improved?

I decided that perhaps it would be a good idea to hone my database searching skills. The following websites were of use:

http://library.auraria.edu/guides/general/searching.html

http://healthlinks.washington.edu/howto/improving.html

http://libraryresearchguides.cocc.edu/ebscoguide/default.aspx

As our school district subscribes to Ebsco, I found the last of the above links to be most useful. It was on this website that I learned “…do not search for words like "education", "school", or "teaching" in ERIC, the education-specific database.” Woops. I think I have done that every search. No wonder I end up with odd and overwhelming search results. Note to self: teaching students how to effectively search will have a great impact on the quality of their searches.

I have to agree with Wendy, who commented that “if it is this difficult for us to use, imagine an elementary student trying to use this.” That being said, maybe part of the frustration is that we haven’t mastered the search techniques yet? I have noticed since my self-induced tutorial, my searches have improved in terms of accuracy and clarity. As others have pointed out, there is certainly the issue of getting used to the different layouts of the databases. However, I think this is an issue that can be solved with experience and time.

I am yet to implicitly teach databases to my students, as we are in computer crisis and will not have a class set until after Christmas. When I do focus on databases, I think it is important to teach students when the net and when the database. There are some great web links to support this teaching:

Databases versus the internet:

http://www.coconino.edu/library/databasesworkshop/databasesworkshop_files/frame.htm

http://bloggingatbriggs.wordpress.com/2007/02/22/library-databases-vs-internet-search-engines-or-how-to-make-google-your-last-stop-for-research/

http://www.boulder.lib.co.us/reference/db_vs_internet.html

No comments: